I’ve been thinking for a while that I need to make a list of all the different things that I’m pretty excited about. Whether current or future. It’s also my way of checking in mentally and remembering to practice gratitude. Even though I haven’t landed that killer career, and I’m so not sure about what to do with my life education wise…I have a pretty sweet deal.
Things that rock:
– our neighbourhood; we live in Little Italy which is seriously cool in a lot of ways. For one it’s brimming with amazing cuisine AND a lot of it is really affordable which is great. Not just Italian food but sushi, shwarma, baked goods (OMG Sicilian Cannolis! Portugese Custards! All in moderation of course…). Second there is always something going on which makes it a pretty active, safe place to live. The streets are always busy so I feel comfortable running out for milk at night (who are we kidding, candy) if need be.
– I love our dog park. It’s full of people our age who are graduate students/young professionals so going to the dog park every day is like a fun hang out spot. Plus they all love dogs so it’s perfectly acceptable to yammer about my fur babies non-stop. I’ll be sad to leave it when we move to our apartment.
– that brings me to my next thing…I am SO VERY EXCITED to move. With the exceptions that I will miss living in this sweet part of town and taking my dogs to that particular park. I can’t freakin wait to have our own place again! I am tired of only having one room to live out of. Granted, we have full use of the kitchen/living room but it isn’t ours. They are communal, and they are always crowded with other people’s stuff and just generally messy. And because there is no room for us to expand into the rest of this place we are living with all our things on top of us. The dogs are getting a little nutso having to live in one room too.
– I really like the diversity of living in a true city. The city we lived in before was pretty small size wise and as well as in its mentality. Small town people in a larger space. I like looking around me and seeing the “differentness”. I like seeing people express their style most of all. Maybe because I’m obsessed with clothes. But the last place we lived everyone seemed to want to look the same. So this is very refreshing. And inspiring. It makes me want to shop.
– I like being in walking distance to things that I need, it’s easy and environmentally sustainable. That being said, sometimes ‘walking distance’ isn’t so walkable and I have to take a streetcar/subway/bus and make all these connections and try not to get lost because even if we still had the car here it would be too much trouble to drive and park. It’s like…all our day to day need are close by so we can live within our little radius of “x” number of blocks most of the time. But when we need to leave that radius it feels like this huge chore that takes all day. It’s a good thing and a bad thing.
– the weather…omg you guys. The last two days have been warm and sunny but with the gorgeous fall colours and the crispness that I so adore. Swoon. Why can’t it always be like this? When it’s not like this, it rains a lot and is pretty darn cold in my opinion. Brrr.
– Halloween is coming up!!! I’m going to Screemers with a friend on Thursday; which, is basically a theme park that only sets up around Halloween and has seven (!) different haunted houses and rides and a spooky bar and all the things I love. I don’t know why or at what point in my life I began to love Halloween to this level but I just loooove Halloween. I’m going to be working on our costumes for the party on Friday night, yayyy! Then carving pumpkins, watching “Hocus Pocus” (favourite movie evarrrr!), and giving out candy to trick or treaters (or hoarding it to myself while I watch movies with my dogs).
– Cheap yoga! Okay, it’s actually stupid expensive here. But, the place I’m going to now has a trial membership for newcomers and the price is fantastic. So, for the next month I’m going to do lots of yoga. Then maybe switch to a new studio and try their membership rate (does this make me a bad person? What? I’m an unemployed, former student. Who happens to need yoga in order to not behave like an ADHD child on speed).
Well, now it’s almost 11pm here and I’m craving baked goods and all amped up about Halloween to the point where I should have a nice difficult time going to sleep🙂 Ah well. C’est la vie. Know what else? I stewed a bunch of apple and cranberries with pumpkin pie spice and brown sugar and it’s amazing. I’m so clever. And humble, clearly.